2019 Grace Abernethy Scholarships
Application Deadline: 12 noon, Wednesday, March 27, to the Creative Writing Program office, N209 Callaway Center
DEADLINE UPDATE: The deadline for the Abernethy Nonfiction Scholarship (only nonfiction) has been extended to 4 p.m., Monday, April 1.
Creative Writing majors at Emory may apply for one of two Grace Abernethy Scholarships, one that recognizes achievements in any of the genres taught in Creative Writing, and one recognizing achievement specifically in the nonfiction genre. The Grace Abernethy Scholarships are financial awards from the Grace K.J. Abernethy Fund. The funds are dispersed through the Hawaii Community Foundation -- majors from Hawaii receive preference -- but the award may be made to natives of other states.
The scholarship totals that will be awarded this year will be announced later this semester.
If you are receiving financial aid, the award will be applied to your aid package.
To apply for either scholarship, you must be a declared Creative Writing major, but may be at any stage of completing the requirements.
To apply you must submit the following, in hard copy:
1. A cover sheet by the deadline above to the Creative Writing Program office with the following information:
- Your name
- The scholarship for which you're applying (non-genre specific or nonfiction)
- Your student ID number
- Your NETID
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address
- Your class status and expected semester and year of graduation
- Classes you've taken so far to fulfill the major, including the semester and instructor's name (i.e., Creative Writing workshops and upper-level English literature classes)
2. A sample of your work in any genre, or a mixture of genres, but no more than 20 pages total; this may be several pieces. Number the pages. Single-sided submissions only; if your work is double-sided, then it will not be accepted.
Majors who are studying abroad, or are not on campus in the spring, or are mobility impaired, may submit via e-mail to Paula Vitaris at email@example.com.
The deadline for submitting the material requested above is 12 noon, Wednesday, March 27 to the Creative Writing Program, N209 Callaway Center.
If you have questions about this, or other awards and scholarships, please contact the Creative Writing Program office, 404-727-4683 or firstname.lastname@example.org.