2021 Grace Abernethy Scholarships
4 p.m., Wednesday, March 24, 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Creative Writing majors at Emory may apply for one of two Grace Abernethy Scholarships:
- The Grace Abernethy Scholarship (non-genre specific), recognizing achievements in any of the genres taught in Creative Writing except nonfiction
- The Grace Abernethy Scholarship (nonfiction), recognizing achievement specifically in the nonfiction genre.
The Grace Abernethy Scholarships are financial awards from the Grace K.J. Abernethy Fund. The funds are dispersed through the Hawaii Community Foundation -- majors from Hawaii receive preference -- but the award may be made to natives of other states.
The scholarship totals that will be awarded this year will be announced later this semester.
If you are receiving financial aid, the award will be applied to your aid package.
To apply for either scholarship, you must be a declared Creative Writing major, but may be at any stage of completing the requirements.
To apply you must submit the following, as ONE DOCUMENT IN EITHER WORD OR PDF FORMAT, to email@example.com by the 4 p.m., March 24 deadline:
1. A cover sheet with the following information:
- Your name
- The scholarship for which you're applying (non-genre specific or nonfiction)
- Your student ID number
- Your NETID
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address
- Your class status and expected semester and year of graduation
- Classes you've taken so far to fulfill the major, including the semester and instructor's name (i.e., Creative Writing workshops and upper-level English literature classes), in the following format: Spring 2021, ENGCW 272W-1 Introduction to Fiction Writing, Tiphanie Yanique
2. A sample of your work in any genre, or a mixture of genres, but no more than 20 pages total; this may be several pieces. Pages must be numbered. Prose should be double-spaced; poetry single-spaced. Play and screenwriting submissions should be in the correct format for each genre.
If you have questions about this, or other awards and scholarships, please contact the Creative Writing Program office, 404-727-4683 or Paula Vitaris at firstname.lastname@example.org.